Serves: 4 to 6
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium shallots or 1/2 yellow onion, finely minced
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons real maple syrup
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 pounds unpeeled russet potatoes, scrubbed
2 tablespoons butter
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
Sea salt, to taste
To make the ketchup
1. In a large pot over medium heat, add the olive oil and sweat the shallots until soft and fragrant, about 8 minutes.
2. Add the diced tomatoes, maple, apple cider vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt. Simmer uncovered over medium-low heat for approximately 1 1/2 hours, or until thickened.
3. Remove from the heat. Place in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
To make the fries
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Cut the potatoes into 1/2-inch-thick matchsticks.
3. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat and add the garlic. Saute until fragrant, approximately 2 minutes. Add the rosemary and let it infuse for 1 minute.
4. In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with the warm rosemary butter and garlic mixture. Evenly spread the coated potatoes on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for approximately 50 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden brown.
5. Crank up the oven to 500°F. Bake the fries for an additional 5 minutes, or until crispy. Serve up with Agave-Shallot Ketchup.