Flour: There are dozens of varieties of flour beyond your regular boring all-purpose flour. Get to know them, and have some creative fun in the kitchen!
A few of my favorite flour varieties: Amaranth, Bean, Brown Rice, Quinoa, Millet, Buckwheat, Spelt, Chickpea, Rice, Malted Barley, Coconut flour.
The spelt in this recipe gives the pancakes a lovely nutty, earthy taste you will love.
To top your choice of:
Blueberries, sliced pears, sliced peaches, sliced apples, whatever fruit you love + maple syrup, ground cinnamon and or Greek yogurt.
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the spelt flour, natural sweetener, baking soda and salt.
2. Combine the almond milk with the melted butter,.
3. Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Stir the batter just until the dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed
Let the batter sit to thicken for 5-10 minutes before you use it.
4. Heat a non-stick pan or a non-stick griddle if you have one, or a heavy skillet, preferably cast iron. Spray
5. When the surface of your pan is hot enough for these lovely pancakes to brown, add1/4-cupful at a time. I like to use a turkey baster to keep it nice and clean!
6. Let the pancakes cook on the first side until you see little bubbles begin to form around the edge. Approx 2 to 3 minutes.
7. When the pancakes are just beginning to set on the first side, flip! And let them finish cooking on the second side, about 1 minute more, until golden on each side.
8. Top each spelt pancake with your choice of delicious accessories like blueberries, raw walnuts, and cinnamon maple, even a dollup of Greek yogurt if desired. Be creative and enjoy your feel-good food!